STAAR Assessments Required by Texas
- Grade 3 – Reading & Mathematics (English and Spanish versions)
- Grade 4 – Reading, Mathematics & Writing (English and Spanish versions)
- Grade 5 – Reading, Mathematics & Science (English and Spanish versions)
- Grade 6 – Reading & Mathematics
- Grade 7 – Reading, Mathematics & Writing
- Grade 8 – Reading, Mathematics, Science & Social Studies
Student Success Initiative (SSI)
Enacted by the 76th Texas Legislature in 1999 and modified by the 81st Texas Legislature in 2009, the Student Success Initiative (SSI) grade advancement requirements apply to the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) reading and mathematics tests at grades 5 and 8.
Beginning in spring 2014, students in grades 5 and 8 who participate in STAAR L will be held to the Student Success Initiative requirements. Students in grades 5 and 8 who participate in STAAR L will have three opportunities to pass the STAAR L mathematics test and three opportunities to pass the STAAR reading test.
As specified by these requirements, a student may advance to the next grade level only by passing these tests or by unanimous decision of his or her grade placement committee that the student is likely to perform at grade level after additional instruction.
At high school, grade-specific assessments will include 5 end-of-course (EOC) assessments. TEC§39.025(b) indicates that a student “may retake an end-of-course assessment instrument for any reason.” High school STAAR EOC Assessments are:
- Grade 9 - Algebra I, English I Reading & Writing, Biology
- Grade 10 - English II Reading & Writing
- Grade 11 - U.S. History